Minutes of Garstang Fairtrade Steering Group AGM 24th March 2009
1. Present: Lara Hurley, Belinda Hulme, Will Nightingale, John Allen, Bruce Crowther, Sarah Young, Elaine Gisbourne, Ruth Bruce, Bill Hewitt, Alex Briault.
2. Apologies: Pip Riley, Fiona Riley, Anne Humphries, Graham Hulme, Sue Ritchie, Tom Bamber, Danny Callery.
3. Minutes of last meeting: Accepted
4. Matters arising: None
5. Election of Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer & Review Roles
1. Bruce Crowther – Chair. Bruce happy to stand for another year but intends to step down next year. Question was raised whether the Vice-Chair be Chair-elect so that this year can be seen as a hand over period.
2. Alex Briault - Vice Chair 2008-9. Alex decided to stand down. No-one at the meeting felt that they were able to stand for this role. Are there members who were not able to attend the AGM who would be willing to stand for Vice-chair? Could this role be mentioned in the Courier?
Co-chair a possibility for next year so that the work load is shared.
3. Sarah Young - Secretary
4. Lara Hurley - Treasurer
5. Fiona Riley – Deputy Treasurer 2008-9 decided to stand down.
Paul Hurley will support Lara in the role of Deputy Treasurer.
6. Bill Hewitt - Communications & Press Officer
7.David Williams – Garstang Town Councillor / Wyre Borough Councillor
8. Anne Humphries – Garstang Town Councillor/ Garstang Area partnership.
9. Belinda Hulme - Schools Rep
10. John Allen - Church Rep / Mustard Seed
11. Elaine Gisbourne - Youth Rep
12. Tom Bamber - Website Designer
13. Graham Hulme – Garstang Oxfam Group Rep.
14. Sue Ritchie: Chamber of Trade
15. Ruth Bruce: Soroptomists
16. Will Nightingale: Methodist Church and Myerscough College.
17. Danny Callery
18. Pip Riley
19. Crispin Myerscough
20. Marion Myerscough
2009-10 Business Reps
a. Arts Centre – Bill Hewitt
b. Booths – Bruce Crowther
c. Garstang Health Food Shop and No. 18/No.19 – Elaine Gisbourne
d. The Mustard Seed & Wesleys– John Allen
e. Good Health Naturally, Pipers Restaurant and Threshers – Fiona & Pip Riley
f. Coffee Pot – Will Nightingale.
g. Discovery Centre – Alex Briault
h. Crown – Bruce Crowther
i. Co-op – Bruce Crowther
j. Market Cross News – Belinda Hulme
k. Houghton’s Petrol Station – Graham Hulme
l. Londis – Lara Hurley
m. Simply Delicious – Elaine Gisbourne
n. Sainsbury’s – Ruth Bruce
o. Top Knot Hairdressers – Margaret Allen
p. Carrs Sweet Shop - Sarah Young
q. Tithebarn – Will Nightingale
r. Crofters – Ruth Bruce
s. Mike’s Sports World – Bruce Crowther
t. Golf Club – Ruth Bruce
u. Pickerings – Belinda Hulme
Beastmasters (stall): Bill Hewitt, Alex Briault, Pip Riley
6. Treasurers Report. Lara presented the report. In summary:
The closing statement bank balance stands at £101.75
The closing statement petty cash stands at £ 267.80
Total funds, therefore, are currently £369.55
Elaine suggested we keep hold of our cash at the moment so that we have some funds building up for our tenth anniversary.
Discussion ensued concerning the possibility of obtaining a copyright license and drinks license for a period of time.
Action: Will to look into this. To bring back to next meeting
7. Fairtrade Fortnight 2009 Feedback
See Website for more details of events.
Fairtrade Fortnight was tremendously successful with many events in Garstang:
Garstang’s participation in the World Record Banana Eating event was featured on:
NBC News, US
BBC Website Home page.
8. Future Events
a. 2010: Tenth Anniversary of Garstang being the World’s First Fairtrade Town.
b. Fairtrade Directory. New Consumer Company has gone bankrupt so they are not able to do the two Directories for this year and 2010. Bruce is talking with those responsible to see if we can obtain work in kind e.g. a special edition Directory for 2010 and a launch event with Mel Young, founder of the Homeless World Cup and the Big Issue in Scotland.
c. Fairtrade Way: On the 25th October 2009 walkers representing the Garstang Fairtrade Group, the Garstang Oxfam Group, the Keswick and District Fair Trade Campaign and the Cumbria Fair Trade Network will walk from the world’s first Fairtrade Town to the 80th Fairtrade Town of Keswick in the North Lake District.More detail in future meetings but please contact Bruce, Graham or Danny if you are interested in taking part.
d. Pip writes, ‘Please note also that I contacted Mrs. Riley in Stalmine. Her luncheon group is booked for speakers at the moment but will let me know once a slot comes available.
Also I have been asked to perform again in the Arts Festival! This will be a Singalong in the Arts Centre on the first Sunday evening of the event in August. I propose as last year to make it a Fairtrade support event. ‘
The group wanted to record a note of thanks to Pip for his Singalongs for Fairtrade.
e. Will: Cheese and FT Wine evening proposed. Date to be confirmed.
f. Wyre Borough Campaign. If you wish to be involved in the Wyre Borough campaign please contact Bill Reed at: BReed@wyrebc.gov.uk Tel: 01253 887646
a. DFID White Paper on Poverty consultation at New Century House . If interested see Bruce.
b. Fairtrade Stall: to be discussed at the next meeting.
c. Ben Wallace MP. John to present him with the FT pledge certificate tomorrow morning.
d. GANLKA AGM – At Crofters Hotel at 7pm on Thursday 2nd April. All welcome to attend. The group agreed to continue membership for 2009/10 and Lara will pay the subscription of £20 before or at the AGM.
10. Date of next meeting:
Thurs 14th May 2009. 7pm Crown.