Garstang and New Koforidua 2004 Exchange Itinerary
The exchange project will last for a total of 20 days, 10 days in Ghana and 10 days in Garstang. Time in both places will be spent visiting various relevant sites, giving presentations and taking part in local events. The Ghanaian visit to Garstang will coincide with the last few days of Garstang’s Arts Festival and run into the school term so that local schools can be more involved. Below is a brief outline of the itinerary.
- Sunday 15th - Depart Heathrow.
- Monday 16th - Arrive Accra.
- Tuesday 17th -10am Reception at British High Commission before depart for Kumasi & attend Kuapa Kokoo Reception. Arrive NEW KOFORIDUA
- Tuesday 17th - Friday 20th (4 nights) Stay in homes of hosts, build children’s play area.
- Saturday 21st - Visit Manhyia Palace & audience with the Ashanti King. Visit Kente weaving centre. Stay in Kumasi.
- Sunday 22nd - Worship at partner’s churches. Depart for Cape Coast.
- Monday 23rd - Visit Tree Walk in the morning & Cape Coast castle (slave fort) in the afternoon.
- Tuesday 24th -Travel to Accra. Reception at British Council.
- Wednesday 25th - Depart Accra & arrive Heathrow.
- Thursday 26th - Free day.
- Friday 27th - Town Council Reception (Nana Agyekum Sarpong ll will present flag to Garstang Town Mayor, David Williams) followed by Wyre Borough Council Reception.
- Saturday 28th - Fell walking in Lakes. Cheese & Wine & Barn Dance at the Riverside Club.
- Monday 30th -10am - 1pm Crikey Mikey's Volta Venture read by Robin Graham & Adinkra Art workshop run by Gwymeth Bough as part of Garstang Arts Festival.
- Monday 30th - 3pm Garstang Exchange 11 v Garstang Home 11 friendly football match.
- Tuesday 31st - Visit Liverpool Maritime Museum Slave Trade Exhibition & John Lennon’s house.
- Tuesday 31st - 7.30pm Churches Together Evening Event, St. Thomas’s Narthex (Vestibule extension)
- Wednesday 1st - 10.15am Visit Dewlay Cheese Factory.
- Wednesday 1st- 5pm Myerscough Agricultural College tour.
- Wednesday 1st - 6pm – Fairtrade / Local Produce event at Myerscough College.
- Thursday 2nd – 4.30pm Meet with Co-op Young Members in Manchester.
- Friday 3rd – School Assemblies (Garstang Community Primary School, Garstang High School, St Thomas’ Primary School & St Mary and Michael’s Primary School)
- Friday 3rd - 7pm Farewell Party at Garstang High School.
- Saturday 4th – Ghanaians depart Heathrow.
Garstang and New Koforidua 2004 Exchange - Public Events
- All the events below are open to the public and free admission. All are welcome to share in the Ghana experience!
- Friday 27th August - 11am Welcome Reception by Garstang Mayor & Garstang Town Council at Council Offices, High St., Garstang.
- Saturday 28th August - 7pm Reception cheese & wine Barn Dance. Sample local cheeses and fair trade wines at the Riverside Club, Bridge St., Garstang.
- Monday 30th August – 10am Crikey Mikey's Volta Venture written and read by poet and exchange participant Robin Graham. Followed by Ghanaian Arts workshop on Adinkra symbols run by exchange participant Gwyneth Bough. Both will take place at the Arts Centre in Garstang as part of the Garstang arts Festival.
- Monday 30th August - 3pm – Garstang Exchange 11 v Garstang Home 11. All age friendly football match.
- Tuesday 31st August - 7.30pm Churches Together Evening Event at St. Thomas’s Church, Church St., Garstang. The Exchange Group will report back on the building of the New Koforidua Play area and their shared experiences.
- Wednesday 1st September – 6pm Fairtrade / Made in Lancashire Local Produce event at Myerscough College. Sample local and Fairtrade products.
- Friday 3rd September – 7pm Farewell Party at Garstang High School.