In putting together this web site we acknowledge that extracts have been taken from some of the following books and we wish to thank the authors James Walvin, Ellen Gibson Wilson, Melinda Elder, Kevin Bales and Suzanne Schwarz for their help. We also thank Sutton Publishing Limited, William Sessions Limited, Lancaster City Museums and Channel 4 Television.
1. The Slave Trade by James Walvin. Sutton Pocket Histories. Published by Sutton Publishing Limited 1999.
2. Thomas Clarkson, A Biography by Ellen Gibson Wilson. Published by William Sessions Limited.
3. Lancaster and the African Slave Trade by Melinda Elder. Local Studies No. 14. Published by Lancaster City Museums.
4. Slave Captain by Suzanne Schwarz.
5. Liverpool, the African Slave Trade and Abolition edited by R. Anstey and P.E.H. Hair.
6. Documents Illustrative of the History of the Slave Trade to America, 4 vols. by E. Donnan.
7. The Slave Trade and the Economic Development of 18th-Century Lancaster by Melinda Elder.
8. The Slaves by S. Everett.
9. Black Cargoes: A History of the Atlantic Slave Trade by D.P. Mannix with M. Cowley.
10. John Newton: Journal of a Slave Trader edited by B. Martin and M. Spurrell.
11. 'The Slave Trade from Lancashire and Cheshire Ports outside Liverpool, c. 1750-1790', Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire by M. M. Schofield.
12. American Slavery by Peter Kolchin.
13. Black Ivory, A History of British Slavery by James Walvin.
14. The Slave Trade by Hugh Thomas.
15. Macmillan Encyclopedia of World Slavery, (2vols.) edited by Paul Finkelman and Joseph C. Miller.
16. A Historical Guide to World Slavery edited by Seymour Drescher and Stanley L. Engerman.
17. Business of Abolishing the British Slave Trade by Judith Jennings
18. Popular Politics and British Antislavery by Bruce Oldfield
19. Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society 1977 Vol. 79 "The Anti-slave Trade agitation in Manchester.
20. A Sailor Boy's Experience Aboard a Slave Ship in the Beginning of the Present Century, 1867 by Samuel Robinson. Published by G C Book Publishers Ltd, Tel. (01988) 402499, 1996.
21. Slavery, Commodities and disposable people in the modern world by Kevin Bales. Published by Channel 4 Television.